Fellowship by Assessment
The Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine is pleased to receive applications for Fellowship by Assessment. Please carefully read the eligibility criteria below and in the attached application form before applying. If you are not eligible for Fellowship by Assessment, please refer to our other membership routes.
Please note: On Monday 16 December 2019 the Fellowship by Assessment route will close and full Fellowship (FFICM) will only be achievable via Fellowship by Examination, Fellowship ad eundem and the honorary routes.
To apply, you must:
a) hold a substantive or honorary NHS or Defence Medical Services consultant post in the United Kingdom
b) have completed your specialist training in the UK and hold either
- a substantive or honorary consultant post overseas, or
- a substantive or honorary non-NHS/DMS consultant post in the UK
c) have completed your ICM specialist training in the UK and hold an NHS locum consultant in the UK
d) have a defined, contracted clinical commitment to Intensive Care Medicine as described in the appropriate application form
e) have satisfactorily completed such a period of training or its equivalent (supplemented by a personal portfolio) as may from time to time be prescribed by the Faculty
f) have otherwise satisfied the Faculty as to your suitability by the submission of appropriate paperwork relating to the form of application as specified by the Faculty assessors
g) For those applying via 5.2.b.ii who are in non-NHS/DMS consultant posts: applicants will need to provide evidence of quality assurance (appraisal, continuing professional development and revalidation) as defined by the GMC and the Faculty
The applicant must be a Fellow or Member in good standing of one the Colleges below at the time of application, holding the stipulated qualification:
The Royal College of Physicians of London (RCP London)
The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCP Edinburgh)
The Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS England)
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCS Edinburgh)
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (RCPSG)
The Royal College of Emergency Medicine (RCEM)
The Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCoA)
The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH)
Rights and privileges
Fellowship confers the following rights and privileges:
- use of the post-nominal FFICM and the description 'Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine'
- to attend, speak and vote at General Meetings of the Faculty
- to be nominated for election to membership of the Board
- to vote in Faculty elections respective to any residential qualifications
- to be appointed to Committees, Working Parties and other groups of the Faculty
- to be nominated by the Faculty under the auspices of the Royal College of Anaesthetists for appointment to any Advisory Appointment Committee
- to be appointed to a Court of Examiners
- to be appointed a Regional Advisor in Intensive Care Medicine or Faculty Tutor
- to use the facilities of the RCoA buildings
- to attend available Faculty events
- to benefit from the arrangements organised by the Faculty for participating in Continuing Professional Development
Subscription rates can be found here. Current Fellows and Members of the Royal College of Anaesthetists will have their subscription date (either April or October) alternated with their College subscription. All other applicants will have a subscription date dependent on when their application form is received.
Subscriptions last from the billing dates of April to April and October to October and are not time limited depending on the financial year. As an example, a doctor who applies in February 2016 will be billed for Fellowship in April 2016. They will not be billed again until April 2017.
If you have any problems or queries regarding your application please contact the Faculty.
Please click the links below for the Fellowship by Assessment application form, Equal Opportunities Monitoring form and accompanying Direct Debit instructions.
Please Note: The application form must be submitted electronically via firstname.lastname@example.org
From Thursday 17 May 2018 the Faculty will not be accepting the old forms.