- 7-8 Level 3 beds
- 6-8 Level 2 beds
MSc Advanced Nursing Practice (Salford University)
RN Dip HE Nursing / ENB 100 / ENB 998
Independent prescriber / ALS instructor
Two year MSc Course Advanced Nursing Practice Salford University
- Support the clinical management of critically ill patients throughout the hospital .
- Provide a professional portfolio of skills including clinical assessment, basic diagnosis, treatments and advanced practical skills.
- Requesting or performing diagnostic tests as indicated by patient needs.
- Interpreting ECG, chest X-ray & blood results and acting accordingly
- Making daily assessments of existing critically ill patients and participating fully in the daily consultant led ward round.
- Providing expert nursing treatment as identified and required.
- Independently providing prompt and safe peripheral and central venous vascular access via peripheral, subclavian, internal jugular and femoral routes.
- Independently providing prompt and safe radial or femoral arterial cannulation.
- Providing basic airway skills including intubation and tracheostomy change.
- Provide bronchoscopy for the insertion of tracheostomy as directed by the consultant.
- Independently prescribing medications.
- Independently prescribing blood and blood products as required.
- Provide an independent and safe intra- and inter-hospital transfer service for stable critically ill patients.
- Provide follow up and specialised supportive advice as required for nursing staff caring for patients discharged to general wards.
- Assist in resuscitation and be a part of the cardiac arrest team.
- Work in collaboration with nursing and medical staff to promote quality care, participating in audit and assisting in developing unit protocols.
- Exercise complex levels of judgement, discretion and decision making in clinical care demonstrated through the National Education and Competence Framework for Advanced Critical Care Practitioners.
- Actively participate in teaching the MDT throughout the Trust