- Hospitals / Departments should provide access to relevant and up to date Intensive Care Medicine journals and books relevant to the training of all members of the MDT.
- Critical care units should provide additional access to online clinical resources from within the clinical area relevant to all staff.
- Study leave, in line with contractual agreements, to attend intensive care-related courses and conferences should be provided where appropriate and reasonable to help meet curriculum and PDP requirements.
- Where possible, providing 'on call' (as opposed to resident) out of hours opportunities for Stage 3 trainees is to be encouraged. It is not appropriate for Stage 3 trainees to be the most junior member of the resident ICM medical team.
- Departments are encouraged to provide doctors in training with appropriate access to IT, rest and accommodation facilities. Any hospital with trainees must have appropriate accommodation to support training and education; this may be in the department or elsewhere in the hospital e.g. the Postgraduate Teaching Centre. The Faculty’s guidelines are that this accommodation should include:
A focal point for the ICU staff to meet so that effective service and training can be coordinated, and optimal opportunities provided for gaining experience and teaching.
- Adequate accommodation for trainers and teachers in which to prepare their work.
- A private area where confidential activities such as assessment, appraisal, counselling, and mentoring can occur.
- A secure storage facility for confidential training records.
- A reference library where trainees have ready access to bench books (or an electronic equivalent) and where they can access information at any time.
- Access for trainees to IT equipment such that they can carry out basic tasks on a computer, including the preparation of audio-visual presentations; access to the internet is recognised as an essential adjunct to learning.
- A suitably equipped teaching area and a private study area.
- An appropriate rest area whilst on shift.