How is hypertension classified?
Hypertension can be classified by severity:
European Society of Cardiology1:
- Grade 1: SBP 140-159 and/or DBP 90-99mmHg-
- Grade 2: SBP 160-179 and/or DBP 100-109mmHg
- Grade 3: SBP ≥180 and/or DBP ≥110mmHg
- Stage 1: SBP 140-159 and/or DBP 90-99mmHg-
- Stage 2: SBP 160-179 and/or DBP 100-119mmHg
- Stage 3: SBP ≥180 and/or DBP ≥120mmHg
Hypertension can be classified by cause:
- Primary (or essential) hypertension: Hypertension with no identifiable secondary cause.
- Secondary hypertension (5-15% of cases): Hypertension due to an identifiable cause which may be treatable with an intervention specific to the cause1.