What investigations would be useful to order in this case?
Investigations to screen for end-organ damage:
- ECG, troponins, Echocardiogram
- Urea, Creatinine, eGFR, Urine albumin:creatinine ratio
- Full blood count, coagulation screen, fibrinogen, D-Dimer
- CT/MRI Head if concerns re: encephalopathy
Investigations to screen for the most common secondary causes of hypertension in this age group:
- Renal ultrasound including Doppler examination of renal arteries.
- Pregnancy test
- 24 hour urinary cortisol (Cushing’s syndrome)
- Plasma or 24 hour urinary metanephrines (Phaeochromocytoma)
- Plasma renin and aldosterone (Conn’s syndrome)
- Thyroid function tests